John’s sense of humor and impressive wit will have you laughing out loud, even while he shares his personal story about the emotional abuse, the life-threatening accidents, his addiction to prescription painkillers and eventually, his planned suicide. But, as you’ll hear, it was laughter that saved his life – and became a critical component of his mental health.
Founder of The Shuchart Foundation for Mental Health Awareness, John and his team are on a mission to fight the stigma attached to mental illness. Their first project, the book “You are not the brightest of my four sons,” tells John’s incredible, moving and funny story. “Ernest Hemingway said, ‘A man’s got to take a lot of punishment to write a really funny book,’” John says. “Trust me, based on what I’ve been through, my story should be hilarious.”
John’s Mental Health Messages:
- I have been there, done that, and done that with a mental illness. I’ve been successful, and you can be too!
- I’ve learned to use humor in my struggles with mental illness. I’ll show you how to reframe traumatic events to “unstick” the negative emotions tied to them, and make those events easier to live with.
- You will laugh! You may also cry at our events, but most of all, we want to give you hope!
- We must fight the stigma associated with mental illness! The stigma prevents countless people from seeking help because they don’t want to admit there’s a problem or they’re embarrassed about having a mental illness. People who don’t get treated, don’t get better!
- The Shuchart Foundation is fighting the stigma by sharing my story so that those with mental illnesses do not feel alone! We are also helping nonprofits continue the fight by using our book as a fundraising tool. Nonprofits keep 30% of the proceeds from the books they sell (with no risk, no books to buy, and tons of marketing support!).
Let us know how we can help you! Contact us.
“Thank you so much for speaking at our Annual Celebration yesterday afternoon. We’ve received tremendous, positive feedback about the overall event, and about your presentation specifically.”
– Therese Horvat, Vice President, Communications, Fund Development & Promotions, Wyandot, Inc.
“Such a special evening. We appreciate what you are doing. I heard so many positive comments from our group. We stand with you as you pursue this worthy mission.”
– H. Wayne McKamie, Jr., President of Focus Seminars